It’s a new year! Time to get back on the healthy eating train after some indulgence during the holidays. One of the best options for healthy eating is the all-important salad. But, many times, salad can be boring, unappetizing and plain old yuck. So to spice things up and still get in a healthy meal, I put together my “shell-less” taco salad so I can still enjoy traditional Mexican flavors, but without the added sugar. This is also super-simple to prepare.
To make all salads more appetizing (and also to increase the amount of greens I can fit in), I use a nifty little device from OXO called a Salad Chopper. It is like a double pizza cutter that allows you to chop up greens effortlessly so that you don’t feel like you are eating leaves (stems and all!) straight from the garden. Plus, you can cram in way more greens with it.
Here is my go-to salad–Jade thinks I am crazy eating this like 4 nights a week, but oh well! I hope you enjoy it too!
- 3-4 cups mixed greens, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup ground turkey or bison or grass-fed beef
- ¼ cup low-sodium salsa, used as “dressing”
- Optional: sprinkle of almond cheese (cheddar)
- Chop up greens and veggies and combine in a bowl
- Add the turkey or beef, mix well
- Add the salsa as light dressing, mix well
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and enjoy!
Related: Dining out? 7 Fat Loss Lunches