Living the Fat-loss lifestyle is not necessarily easy, otherwise everyone would be fit, lean and healthy. It takes a lot of dedication, accountability and sweat to transform one’s lifestyle and body into a fat burning machine. Some may feel that the lifestyle is not sustainable because it is nothing but bland and boring food that can’t be eaten for more than a week without giving up. This, my friends does not have to be the case. There are tons of seasonings, spices, and tricks that can make fat loss food exciting. I wanted to share some of my favorite things for spicing up the fat-loss lifestyle. These are not things I eat every day, but when things start to feel mundane there are many things to choose from to add variety and flavor. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Wing Time Hot Wing Sauce: We use this as a marinade on chicken before grilling. It makes a chicken breast taste just like a chicken wing AND has only 1 gram of sugar and 40 mg of sodium per serving. I love hot and spicy things and this is absolutely one of my favorites. It can be found at Whole Foods with the other marinades. There are also a variety of barbecue sauce type marinades (specifically vinegar-based Southern style) that are also very low sugar and sodium. Happy label reading!
2. Cinnamon Roast Almonds: These almonds are awesome! They are sweetened with a little bit of sucrolose and taste like a cinnamon sugar dream. I do not recommend eating these every day since they do contain artificial sweeteners, but they are a nice treat and change of pace now and then when you want a special treat. I love to eat a granny smith apple with about 30 almonds for an afternoon snack.
3. White Balsamic Vinegar: Vinegar is a wonderful fat loss friendly condiment that can add a ton of flavor. The white balsamic vinegar adds a touch of sweetness and adds a much lighter flavor than dark balsamic. I love this on all veggies, but especially collard greens and spinach along with some fresh ground pepper. Beware! Some varieties add way too much sugar.
4. Capella Flavor Drops: These things rock my world. They are unsweetened flavor drops that come in just about every flavor imaginable. My favorites are peanut butter, waffle, French toast, toasted almond, and double fudge. They even have chocolate iced donut flavor! I like to add them to my shakes and oat bran on a regular basis, but also use them when I am baking low carb treats! See other ways we use Capella drops!
5. PB2: This is my absolute favorite! I have never been a huge peanut butter fan, but I love this stuff. You add water to the peanut butter powder to the desired texture. I sometimes put this in my shake, but most often I love to dip an apple or celery sticks in it. The best part…. 2 tbsp dry (about 3+ prepared) is only 45 calories, 1 gram of sugar, 2 grams fiber AND adds 6 grams of protein! If one spoonful of nut butter is just not going to do it for you I highly recommend this stuff!
Here’s a recipe to try that combines Capella Flavor Drops and PB2:
Nutty Chocolate Shake
1-2 scoops of whey protein powder (chocolate, vanilla, or your favorite)
4 oz almond milk
4 oz water
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp. PB2 powder
4-6 drops of Toasted Almond or Peanut Butter Capella drops
Stevia drops to taste
Ice as desired
Blend to desired consistency and enjoy!!!!
What are your favorite fat loss friendly treats and spices? I would love to hear from you! ox Emily