By Kelley Vargo
It’s summer time and we are all working hard in the gym to fine-tune our physiques, especially our midsection as we try on our bathing suits. One of my favorite sayings comes to mind this time of year: “abs are made in the kitchen”. Why not make our abs right this summer by starting our day in the kitchen! As I begin prepping for my next competition one of my favorite diet staples begins and ends my day: egg whites!
Egg whites are one of the most versatile and quentisential foods to comprising a great physique and great menu. One egg white is approximately 20-30 calories and contains between 3-6g of protein… start your morning off with four to six of these bad boys and you are already consuming up to 36 g of protein! Add in a good complex carbohydrate. Below are some of my favorite egg white recipes I’ve come up with in the past few years while dieting. Enjoy!
- Egg White Muffins: Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with pam. Dice up your favorite veggies: onions, spinach, mushrooms, peppers etc. Put ~ 2 egg whites per muffin tin. Add in veggies to tins. Top with your favorite low/no sodium spices. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until firm. Can store in air tight container or zip block bags for easy to go snacks during the week. (Can also microwave in a microwave safe container – adjust time accordingly to power of the microwave)
- Egg White Oat Bread: Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees. Spray a small loaf pan with pam. Add ¼ cup oats and 2 egg whites. Dash of cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract, and splenda to taste. To make consistency a little thinner, add a tablespoon or two of water. Mix. Bake for about 10 minutes or until done. . (Can also microwave in a microwave safe container – adjust time accordingly to power of the microwave.
- Egg White Omelet: Spray sauté pan with pam. Chop up your favorite vegetables and sauté in pan. Add in egg whites (number varies on your hunger and goals). Can scramble or flip to make an amazing and filling omlete. My favorite combination lately has been egg whites with grilled chicken and avocado! Try it!
- Hard Boiled Eggs: an easy to go snack! Knick the yolk to decrease cholestrol consumption. Call me weird, but try them with some cinnamon and stevia or splenda- it transforms into a sweet treat!
- Egg White Hash: A great way to get in your complex carbohydrates and protein! Mix 3-4 oz of a mashed sweet potato with 4 scrambled egg whites. Sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda! Again an amazing and nutritious treat! Perfect snack!
I love hearing your thoughts and feedback! Have an eggcellent summer! ox Kelley