Today I am writing from my new kitchen table and gazing out over the splendid Fall colors in my back yard. This time of year always gets me in the mood for warmer food. I start drinking my tea hot instead of iced and choose hot chocolate over ice cream as an occasional sweet treat. I have always LOVED soups and stews and the cooler weather gets me in the mood to start whipping up comfort food. My mom always made me the BEST homemade chicken noodle soup in the Fall and Winter and it always had a way of healing me when I was under the weather and warming me up after playing outside in the cold.
This week’s recipe will warm you up inside while sticking with the principles of the Fat Loss Lifestyle. This recipe can also be made in the crockpot by putting all of the liquid ingredients, chicken, and spices in for the first 2 hours then add the veggies for another 2 hours and finally the noodles for one more hour. Enjoy!
Chicken “Noodle” Soup
2 bags Shirataki Fettuccine Noodles (www.miraclenoodle.com or get at any health food store)
1 1/3 cups chopped onion (about 1 onion)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1 tbsp. canned diced green chilies, drained
1 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. ground ginger (or ½ tsp fresh grated)
1/2 tsp.red pepper, or more to taste
4 cups LOW sodium chicken broth
12 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast cutlets
1/2 cup canned lite coconut milk
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
Optional: Splash of low sodium soy sauce to taste
Optional: salt, black pepper
- Use a strainer to rinse and drain noodles well. Pat dry. Place noodles in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. Drain excess liquid. Dry as thoroughly as possible with paper towels.
- Bring a medium-large pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add onion, mushrooms, celery, pepper, chilies, garlic, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and mix well. Continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and place it in a bowl. Shred. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
- Stir in noodles, lime juice, and 1/4 cup cilantro. Continue to simmer until noodles are hot, about 2 minutes.
- Evenly top each serving with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro (2 tsp. each) and enjoy!
MAKES 3 SERVINGS
Last week’s recipe: Quick & Easy Roasted Broccoli & Kale Salad